Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Things that I made reference to today that resulted in blank stares:

Greek mythology. I tried to tell a coworker about my phone calls from Cerberus, but the explanation got to be cumbersome.

Ozymandius by Percy Shelley, when I finally finished a project and struck a pose, going, "Look on my words, ye mighty, and despair!" I then attempted to clarify by adding, "you know, 'two vast and trunkless legs of stone...'" I realized that Sarah is the only one I can rely on to be there with me for that, since we both had to memorize it in eighth grade gifted class.

Eddie Izzard. Talking about talking to a crush--the "hello Sue, I've got legs" bit.

The Jean Paul Sartre Cookbook. We were talking about things my buddy has been cooking, and I encouraged him to challenge the very definition of the word "food", mentioning that I'd had a page of 'Remembrance of Things Past' ignited by blowtorch for breakfast.

Evidently, the whole concept of pop culture references and I have only a passing acquaintance. It's possible that, in fact, pop culture and I live in entirely different physical planes. Fortunately, I amuse the heck out of myself.

No comments: