Thursday, December 08, 2005

Milagro

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Yesterday's mail brought a heart-shaped milagro along with a note from an old friend. Milagro are traditional Mexican charms meant to heal whatever part of the body they depict--so, say, if you had an earache, you'd wear an ear-shaped charm.

I only hear from Alex once or so a year, an update on his wife and my namesake. Apparently, the family was recently in Mexico when they came across a man selling peculiar heart-shaped milagros with wings. Usually, the hearts are surrounded by fire. The man explained that there are certain people who have a winged heart that needs healing.
This certain person, according to Alex, was me. And it is true that I tend to batter myself on whatever is nearest, and that even though things are going relatively nicely, all hearts are sometimes bruised.
The gesture means more to me than I can say, and I appreciate that he and his family still have my heart in mind.

No comments: