Saturday, August 16, 2008

My tomatoes, heavily laden with fruit, have been collapsing onto each other in a delicious green tangle. The whole thing is becoming a complicated web of kite string as I have to anchor more and more branches to the balcony railings and to each other. I understand the point of keeping the plants caged, now. Note for next year.

The plants themselves seem to be losing all of their branches that aren't producing food, making themselves more efficient, diverting their energy into the places that will bear results. There would be a life lesson there, if it weren't too hot for life lessons.

I have been spending most of my time laying in front of the fan eating ice cream and reading about Abraham Lincoln, and whining mightily when it's time to put on clothes and go park myself in front of a fan in a bar. My heart is still going thumpety-thump all the time, but there are ample reasons for distraction, sunsets to watch, whiskey to drink, art shows to be part of. Dresses to sew, trips to plan, presidents to read about. I have a lot to say about the Emancipation Proclamation these days. Things could always be worse.

No comments: