Wednesday, January 19, 2005



While I was waiting for the bus this afternoon I noticed a dead pigeon laying in the turning lane in the middle of the road. It isn't a busy intersection, but I watched intently the wheels of every car that passed through it to make sure they missed the bird.
This morning walking into work there were earthworms writhing here and there on the sidewalk. I made sure to greet each and every one, but I didn't have the heart to tell them that it's only January and that spring is still so far away. It seemed like they had enough to worry about.
In the time I stood at the bus stop ten cars entered the lane with the bird--six misses and four hits. I winced for each hit, watching as the dead thing was ground further and further into the road.
By tomorrow, what's left in that spot will really only be bird-based.

No comments: