Monday, November 29, 2004

Remember how I didn't go back to Florida for Thanksgiving because I was unprepared to deal with all the crazy changes that my fairly sedate and pleasant life in Seattle has made me intolerant of? Right. Well, I just got off the phone with my stepmother for the Florida Thanksgiving Recap, and boy howdy was that ever a good decision.
I have eight female cousins, ranging in age from 18 to 9. And the bulk of this conversation involved my stepmother saying things like, "You know how [one cousin] was always so skinny and thin? Well, she's hit puberty, and now she has breasts bigger than your head!" And, "[My aunt] had to make [this other cousin] move out, because she was behaving so badly and smoking and sleeping with skeezy guys, and..." "Behaving just like her mother?" "Well, yeah..."

I was so concerned about the adults growing up that I forgot about the kids, and it's really very unfair that all this is happening on both sides. The rest of the world can grow up, but please, leave my family alone.

No comments: