Tuesday, November 23, 2004

I have to admit that I'm a little blue today, a little haunted by the ghosts of Thanksgivings past. I'm glad that I didn't go back to Florida, didn't have to sit around with a bunch of strangers where my family used to be. I don't know most of those people anymore.
I happened to grow up with my whole family living in the same town. They were young and stupid but fun and undeniably alive, and I was overly grown up enough to watch them and feel on something close to level ground. But through the years sobriety and second marriages have happened. Dropping out of school and suicide attempts have happened. I'm still young, but they aren't anymore, and things change so fast the second you turn your back.
It's a good thing I'm not going back, because I would be unable to watch quietly while they make a mess of things.

So thanks to everyone who is coming over to celebrate on Thursday. There have been lots of things happening lately, lots of improvements and lots of milestones reached. You have all of you helped me, during my time in Seattle, in ways that I don't think I can even articulate, let alone properly thank you for. I'll do my best not to ruin the turkey.

No comments: