Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I have finally come home from celebrating, stone sober, and it is only now starting to hit me what has happened. Because this is History. In Washington State, it's beyond that--not only did Obama win, but Gregoire is winning, Darcy Burner is winning, Death With Dignity is winning, mass transit and parks and happiness and hope are all winning, and Florida managed to not ruin it for everyone.

I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that this has been the best night of my life.

Once we knew what things looked like, we took to the streets. I have never hugged so many strangers, stopped traffic at so many intersections, felt so much a part of anything before. After everything that has happened, everything we've been through, suddenly none of it matters.

I think we clogged the city tonight with thousands of people who felt the same way. Thousands of people who finally feel like they have been heard. The real work is yet to be done, but this is the best of all possible starts. This is really why I have taken tomorrow off of work--to be able to walk the streets of this new world.

No comments: