Monday, April 07, 2008


Samantha at McLeod by David Choe

A couple of days ago I was talking to a guy I know who returned last week from two solo months in Thailand. We talked for a while about feeling lonely on vacation, and how in our society feeling lonely is just not admitted. But there's a whole population of us solitary people out there who are, I think, more afraid of being lost than of being lonely.
I think it's a good thing to reach all around your edges and figure out just where they are. To be totally alone in an unfamiliar situation only to unexpectedly make friends. I think that if I isolate myself only in the places where I am comfortable, I'll lose a road map inside myself to somewhere important.

In a few hours I'm off to Italy, and I'm nervous to spend these two weeks alone in a place where I don't speak the language. But I'm excited about exactly that.

I'm sure I'll check back in here sooner rather than later--my family is demanding contact in exactly that way that makes me anxious about disappointing them. (This is the reason I called them all when I had my wisdom teeth out the moment I came out of the anaesthesia. They freak me out.) But in the meantime, if you miss me, I made you a muxtape. Don't spend it all in one place.

No comments: