Monday, September 19, 2005

My new favorite entomologist told me yesterday all about some bugs that split right down the middle, one half male and one half female. (This is called bilateral gynandromorphism, if you're playing along on the home version.) This is especially interesting in butterfly species where the two sexes have different colors--one wing will be, say, bright blue, and the opposite one will be white.
A girl standing by broke in during this explanation, asking hesitantly, "Does this mean that they, you know...mate with themselves?"

Being on the UW campus still stings a bit. I miss being a student. I'll go to grad school eventually, but no one ever said that I was very good with rejection. Especially not rejection twice. And especially not academic rejection twice. Couldn't they have just said yes and insulted my hair instead?

Today is talk like a pirate day. Y'all better have gone 'yarrrr' at least once or you're disowned.

Today's children's book was the French version of Everyone Poops, called, "De la petite taupe qui voulait savoir qui lui avait fait sur la tete." In this story, a small mole--la petite taupe--goes on an adventure to find out who has, quite literally, done on her head (fait sur la tete).
French kids stories are always so much better than American ones.
Cecile reads these stories to me, and I try and figure out what they're saying. Then I read them back to her, working on pronunciation. I tend to get really excited when I actually understand, and my coffee guy just shakes his head. We're like the kooky neighbors in a middling sitcom.

No comments: