Monday, October 25, 2004

I sent my ballot out in today's mail, and so barring anything unpleasant, I have officially done my major civic duty and voted for President of the United States.

Now, I try to keep this website nonpolitical, and indeed relentlessly narcissistic, but this is not the time to be without politics. And although I think it's perfectly obvious, you should all know that I voted Kerry.

Because, you know, I believe most firmly that everyone has the right to have opportunities to be happy, healthy, protected, and well-fed, not just people who are male, white, heterosexual, and rich. I believe that my uterus is my own concern, because I believe that you own your body outright. I believe in science and in protecting our environment so that my grandchildren will not just be reading about trees in books. I believe that if grown folks want to get married, we should let them.

And beyond all that, I'm absolutely positive that we've been going in exactly the wrong direction for the last four years.

You don't have to agree with me. I imagine that if you don't, you'll tell me so at length. And that's fine. You do, however, need to vote.

(In a completely unrelated aside, don't forget pumpkin carving tonight. If you forget me, I might cry.)

No comments: