Sunday, December 07, 2003

When I was a kid, I always wanted to work in a kissing booth. Not that I'd ever seen one before; I knew them from movies and books, but they always seemed like a cool place to be. People would pay to kiss you and then, if they didn't like it, you'd just be able to say 'well, sucker, that's what you get for a dollar' or something amazingly clever like that.
I imagine that kissing booths died out by the mid-nineties, but it could just be that I don't know what I'm talking about. I always thought that they happened at church gatherings, but as I grew older I started believing that churches tried to outlaw things like kissing, especially kissing for money, and so I wasn't sure.
The fact of the matter is that I'm still not sure, but I don't think I want to work in a kissing booth anymore. I get the feeling now that the sort of people that would pay for a kiss are the sort of people who I would want to pay -not- to kiss me.
I think that probably I outgrew the appropriate age for kissing booths about 10 years ago; now, I'd just be on my way to being a dirty old lady, to being -one of those girls-.

I wonder if the loyal readers of my other blog will locate this one. On some level I hope not, because I hope to be able to write in a different tone here than I do there. Here, I would rather tell stories without any of those pesky trappings of my personality.

No comments: