Saturday, October 01, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Dear everyone,

In just a couple of days, it will have been a year since I started my job. And I still love what I do, regardless of the days that are long and frustrating and full of ornery folks. I'm lucky to have fallen into the place.
But man, the things that have changed in the last year.
I got home late last night, after another marathon happy hour with my coworkers, and I wanted to call you and tell that I understood. I even wrote myself a note and left it here on my desk--it says, "Phone call: you understand!" But now in the daylight I don't remember who or what or how or when. I guess it doesn't really matter, because I still do get it. And if I don't, just let me know.
In case you haven't heard, my dear friend Cat will be moving to Kenya in a couple of months. This is going to be such an adventure for her, and she will be able to do good things for so many people. Doing good things for people is what she does best, after all. But we will miss her. I'll have to find myself a new local single girl friend, someone I can talk about dates and nondates and the general every day workings of being a single girl with. And with any luck I will make it to Africa next year for a visit.
I am sitting at my desk with my feet on the baseboard heater, and my soles are starting to tingle a little because the heat has turned itself on. When I woke up this morning, my cheeks were cold to the touch. Fall is here, and all of the streets look like car commercials. I'll make my second batch of potato-leek soup this season tomorrow, and on the way to and from the store there will be puddles that I'll consider jumping in. It is time to put away my spring-and-summer research paper about e e cummings and the rhetoric of textual impressionism and pick up something for fall-and-winter. (I'm leaning toward something about sentence structure in Tolstoy, but I need to make sure my translations are good.) Only spring is better than fall.
October is a busy month, with shows and shows and shows. Tonight I'll be seeing Math and Physics Club again with some other folks, and Monday is Mike Doughty. (Anyone else going to that?) There will be Moroccan food and readings and my third annual pumpkin carving. And boy do I have plans for the next year.
You've all been great friends while I've been loaded up with mean reds, with doubt and with dislike and with occasional outright loathing. I am trying to do better.

love,
me

No comments: