Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My favorite flowers are the ones that might grow anywhere, that are not discouraged by weather or concrete or human neglect. That grow in spite of these things, that colonize walls and cracks in the sidewalk and sad neglected plots of land. The first small bright blooms to come back after a fire has seared the earth.

I am a sucker for anything stubborn enough to make things beautiful where beauty shouldn't be allowed.

I'm already excited to go to Philadelphia-and-Delaware in October, because September is going to bring both my birthday and a large helping of unwelcome change as a present. I'm trying not to dread it because there is still August to get through and enjoy, but it will undeniably be nice to go to the other side of the country to be distracted by travel and new friends and love that actually works. If this year has taught me anything, it's that having a point to move toward is important when I have any number of unpleasant things to move through.

No comments: