Monday, August 29, 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On my way out the door tonight, headed to my French lesson, I threw on a light tan jacket. It's one of my favorites but it isn't very warm, so I don't get to wear it too often out here. Today it was just enough to protect my thin bones from the returned chill in the air. As I walked down my hill I stuck my hands in my pockets, and rediscovered the little red bouncy ball that lives in this coat. It's a ball that was handed to me several years ago by my buddy Jonas, who informed me only a little bit kidding that it contained his soul. I had lost my own yellow superball soul a few minutes before when it had bounced off into the bushes.
Every spring I put the coat away and forget about the ball, and every fall I remember it again. It never fails to make me smile.

Walking, the heels of my red shoes clomped thickly on the pavement. My fingers fiddled with the soul in my pocket while the sun shone and the sky rained at the same time--my favorite thing for each of them to be doing.
It's so good to be home.

No comments: