Thursday, March 30, 2006

Image hosting by Photobucket

Seriously, Boston is kind of magical, and if I were even a little less in love with Seattle I'd crawl into an apartment in the North End and get a new biomedical research administration job out here. Heck, I might just anyway.

The buzz phrase at this conference is "post-genomic era." It's like, ok, we've mapped the genome, so now what? Scientific ADD.

Today I took myself on a seven-or-eight mile walking tour of Boston, from my hotel in the back bay out to Bunker Hill and back, with a little detour through the theatre district. (Look who's spent 24 hours of her life in Boston now!) I made a few friends along the way, including a French couple who wanted to know more about Paul Revere. As it turns out, it's difficult to talk about American history in French. I did manage to communicate that he had something like 16 kids, which seemed to impress them.

I was having dinner tonight when a man from the large group near me came over and apologized for disturbing my "quiet evening alone." I thanked him, but you guys, I was eating in the Omni Parker House. I wasn't alone. I was hanging out with Dickens, Emerson, and Longfellow, JFK, Ho Chi Minh, and Malcolm X. I was having a hot dog and real Boston Baked Beans and Boston Cream Pie in the restaurant that invented it. I was having a great time.

I know you'll all tell me to come back in February and see how much I like it then, but right now Boston's at the top of my list for places to go when I eventually leave Seattle.

No comments: