Saturday, December 11, 2004



I drove home last night through the dark and rain-soaked streets of my city. Riding shotgun was a series of small sparkly turtles collectively named Eustace and a baby spider plant named Eloise. Folks were talking on the radio, and my car's defroster spontaneously decided to start working again.
Normally, I hate driving. Last night, peeking at windows and smiling at empty storefronts, I didn't mind it so much.

Today I braved the Christmas shopping frenzy to go purchase things for my brothers. Most of the people downtown were wearing some amount of red in their ensemble. Today's sky is so blue it looks fake, the way it only can be in Seattle and other places where blue sky in winter is rare.

Dear samantha,
Please stop buying sandals in winter. You will be tempted to wear them, and your toes will freeze off.

Sincerely,
you

No comments: