Thursday, December 01, 2005

Dear everyone,

Somehow, all of a sudden, it's the last month of the year. Soon enough I'll be tallying up accounts, checking off positives and negatives and figuring out the balance. Judging by the way my toes feel lately, I think I'll end up discovering that I am lacking. If I'm lucky, I'll have made a couple of half-steps forward this year.
Today is World AIDS Day, a day that's always been a little bit tough to get through. In both grander and smaller schemes, it's been a very short time since we lost Mark, and since the world lost a little bit of light and color, lost a boy with an enduring sense of childlike wonder and a relentless faith in people. But then in April of this year I learned that a local friend had recently been handed the results of a test that found him HIV+. It's a little bit hard to believe that all of these years later we're still fighting through the stigma that makes getting funds to research a cure so very difficult.
My cold is bad enough at this point that I took a drink of milk tonight, only to discover that it's gone off. This is problematic because I had sniffed the carton before I poured it in the glass.
It snowed today, great big fat slushy flakes that didn't stick at all. This caused me to overexcite to such a point that I sent my desk chair careening into a counter. Seriously, you guys? Snow is more exciting than free oatmeal-raisin cookies.
I hope that you are well, and that you have avoided this creeping plague. If you're in need of someone to thumb wrestle until dawn, you know where to find me. I hope that your holidays go well and that you are well-behaved.
I hope that you never forget that you are made of color and light, and that I am a better girl for knowing you.

love,
me

No comments: