Monday, August 26, 2019

I know you thought you were throwing that coin into a wishing well, but I regret to inform you that it was actually my heart. I can see how you could make that mistake, but the trouble is that now I have your wish all stuck sideways in my inferior vena cava, and it's causing a bit of a ruckus.

Last week I was early for a dinner. I am always early for almost everything except work, especially in this town where half an hour late still counts as early. There was a park on the way to where I was going so I stopped, spread my jacket on the grass, and opened my book. It had been raining off an on all day and the wind rattled the leaves all around me and raindrops pattered the grass. I couldn't tell if they were new or if the trees had just been holding on to them all day, but the leaves were so dense over where I was sitting that not one of them hit me.

Yesterday I was walking home from the store and met a bulldog who saw me coming and refused to move until I stopped and patted it on the head. I can't say this doesn't seem ideal, in a lot of ways; to just stand firm on the sidewalk, unshakable, demanding affection. 

No comments: