Monday, March 29, 2010

I picked up a bad head cold in the last week--the kind where the altitude change going downhill can be felt somewhere behind my face--and between that and everything else I have been hazy, keeping busy and participating in things, but only with part of my brain. The rest of it feels like it is watching, categorizing, taking notes and trying to figure out how to reconcile all of the after I have left with the before.

Everyone heard about my grandma if they had more than a conversation or two with me, for as long as I can remember--she was such a constant presence in my life, and I admired her so much. In the obituary she's called "our hero" and it is true. There were a lot of close calls over the last couple of years, but none of the almost prepared me for the end of things.

It's the getting used to it that I like least of all.

No comments: